Jimmy Fallon's Crock-Pot Chili
Today is National Chili Day, so let’ make some chili! Here is the recipe that everyone’s favorite late night talk show host, Jimmy Fallon, uses.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 pounds ground chuck beef, ground for chili
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 habanero chili, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped with their juices
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle amber beer
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- Chopped tomatoes, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add beef and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; drain in a colander, discarding fat, and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon olive oil to skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add onions, garlic, and habanero; season with salt. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a 6-quart Crock-Pot, combine beef, onion mixture, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cayenne pepper; stir to combine. Add tomatoes, cilantro, and beer; cover and cook on high, stirring occasionally, for 5 hours.
- Add kidney beans and season with salt and pepper. (Jimmy smashes half the beans – why? Nobody knows!)
- Continue to cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve with desired toppings.