As we celebrate CHILDREN’S DENTAL HEALTH MONTH in February, we would like to remind you that the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends the following for good oral health that can help children (and adults) have a healthy and beautiful smile:
1. Brush your teeth twice a day with ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste.
2. Clean between teeth daily with floss or an inter-dental cleaner. Decay-causing bacteria still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach.
3. Eat a balanced diet and limit between meal snacks to healthy items like fruits, raw vegetables, plain yogurt or cheese.
4. Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.
5. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush. The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth, allowing you to reach all areas easily.
6. Thoroughly rinse toothbrushes with tap water after brushing to remove any remaining toothpaste and debris. Store the brush in an upright position if possible and allow the toothbrush to air-dry until used again.
7. Do not share toothbrushes!
8. Replace your toothbrush every three or four months or sooner if the bristles become frayed.Additional Note for people in Braces: Use your proxy brush daily between teeth, and over/under brackets