Going back to school with braces will be a new experience for many of you. The good news is that you are certainly not alone. A lot of patients prefer to get their braces on during the summer months. Just look around and you will see many new smiles under construction at your school!
Here are a few tips to help you transition into the school year while staying on target with your orthodontic treatment goals:
- Remember to avoid crunchy and chewy foods at lunch. Also, be sure to cut questionable food into small bite size pieces and chew very carefully with your back teeth.
- Take a couple of minutes after lunch to brush your teeth to be certain you don’t have food trapped in your braces.
- Scheduling your adjustment appointments in advance will improve your chances of getting after school appointments.
- If you are wearing rubber bands, be sure you have them with you and stay on the schedule we have given you.
- If you are wearing a retainer, be sure to bring your retainer case to school. That is one of the most common places that patients lose their retainers!
- As tempting as it is in class and while studying, avoid chewing on pencils or even holding them between the teeth as it can place a large amount of pressure on the teeth. This can cause teeth to shift or crack, and can break your brackets!